A landlord has been fined £16,000 and has to pay costs of £1,500 for failing to undertake his landlords’ gas safety duties on a westcountry property.

Michael Jones of Harrow Weald failed to ensure the gas boiler system at his property in Plymouth was safely maintained, thereby putting tenants at risk.

Jones pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 36(2) and 36(3)(a) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, in an action heard at Plymouth magistrates’ court and brought by the Health and Safety Executive.

He was fined £8,000 for each breach.