Oakfield are proud to be supporting the 6th annual Gas Safety Week which takes place next week from 19th to 25th September. Gas Safe Week will see organisations from across the UK working together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Top tips to stay gas safe
• Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances. You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
• Check both sides of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
• Have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year. If you rent your home ask your for a copy of the landlord’s current Gas Safety Record.
• Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
• Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
• Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
Neil Newstead, FARLA MNAEA
CEO – Oakfield Estate Agents